Geocoding is the process of finding out the geographical coordinates (latitude/longitude) from street address, post code, etc. A lot of organizations are interested in geocoding their customer addresses, because it enables them to serve the customer better. For e.g.
- A healthcare provider can use the geocoding information of its customers, to help them locate the nearest physician or pharmacy.
- An insurance firm can use geocoding information to find out the actual physical location of an insured property and determine the underwriting risk for floods, earthquakes, etc.
- E-commerce sites usually have a find-a-nearby-store option that enables customers to find out the nearest store to pick up their goods from, based on their GPS coordinates.
- What geographical area to most of our customers come from?
- Are there geographical areas where we have not penetrated? If yes, Why?
- Is our sales force aligned with our customer territories?